Sunday, February 12, 2012

Bucket Fillers and Pinterest

This week I read the book, How Full is Your Bucket? for Kids. The children are learning that words we use with others can "add drops" to their bucket or make their bucket "drip".  When I asked the children why they thought one of the illustrations showed everyone with an invisible bucket over their head, one very astute little boy said, "Because we all have feelings."  BINGO!

Now that the children are learning to read and write, I will have a little form they can fill out when somebody "fills their bucket".  (We will not fill it out for those who make our buckets drip - we want to accentuate the positive!  I have a bucket in the classroom where the children will drop their "drops", and at the end of the day, I will read them aloud.  We will be working on learning our lifeskill of Caring along with practicing writing!
I came across a post in Mrs. Lee's Kinderkids teacher's blog about charts she made with her class.  I think I am going to do something similar in my class with Bucket Fillers:
Another GREAT idea came from The First Grade Parade using the David character:

I can't wait to do this in my class!  Such great ideas from talented teachers!  Thanks for sharing, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. We do bucket filling too! We have a heart theme in our classroom and everything is about being a helpful heart. We have heart beads we use to fill our bucket. The kiddos add them for each other and must tell that person "I am adding you a helpful heart for____________". The person who it is being added for must answer them with "Thank you for noticing that." At the end of the year, each kiddo makes a heart bracelet to remind them to be helpful and kind.

    I would love for you to come read more about it and the other activities we do to build Our School Family. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete