Friday, June 24, 2011

My Summertime Miracle

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free slideshow design personalized with Smilebox
Every spring in my classroom, the children observe caterpillars metamorph into butterflies.  Usually I purchase the larva from a science vendor.  The first time I personally observed this metamorphosis was with my kindergarten children three years ago.  Each year is just as exciting to me as the previous year's experience.  So you can only imagine how thrilled I was last week when I went out to water my container garden and noticed not one, not two, not three, but NINE beautiful caterpillars on my very de-leafed plant.  (I thought I killed my plant from not watering it, but upon closer inspection, saw all these caterpillars!
This slideshow is not complete.  At the time of this posting, I am down to three chrysalids and one caterpillar.  A cardinal had a yummy meal of three of the nine before I realized I had to move the plant inside the screened patio.  I think a lizard has eaten two more.  There's one lone caterpillar that appears to be unwell.  I am not holding out hope for it.  :-(  But, if I saved three out of nine, then I'm happy with that.  If I hadn't done anything, that cardinal would've had a feast of nine, I'm sure.  ...In the meantime, I will continue to photograph this little miracle and maybe, just maybe, I'll catch the emergence of one of the butterflies!

No comments:

Post a Comment